Principles of Health
Here is how The Weeks Center for Corrective Health offers superior health care options.
- Eat real, organic food (un-pesticided, un-preserved, un-refined, un-sweetened and un-colored);
- Drink real water (avoid pesticide run off, chlorine, fluorine and heavy metals like lead and copper and mercury contamination);
- And be Merry (enjoy and appreciate what you have – say a Grace and reflect more on your fortune than your worries)!
Those three rules are the minimum for enjoying a healthy life.
But, if you want more health and vitality, consider the Prescription for Vitality! (Why settle for health, when you can have VITALITY!)
The Prescription for Vitality!
Everyone knows that health is never to be found in a pill but rather, good health is rooted in healthy habits (“Nutrition, Exercise and Thought” – mend your NET!).
Of course, good luck also helps: as regards genetic karma, choose your parents wisely!
The goal of The Weeks Center for Corrective Health is to identify with you imbalances and to address our therapies to the root causes of those imbalances – be they biochemical, habitual, emotional or spiritual.
As we begin the process of figuring out the answers to those questions, we invite you to begin your own self-healing process with the following practical suggestions.
This is the list of healthy habits which I encourage you to incorporate into your life as a foundation of health. It is my Prescription for Vitality.
- Exercise every day – even if only a walk before sleep. The expression: “Use it or lose it!” applies here. No need to break a sweat but you need to “Move it or lose it”. Exercise keeps one feeling and acting young! It is also an anti-depressant and mood elevator as it increased metabolism, heart-rate and endorphins. Prescription for Vitality: take a brisk walk (pausing to smell any and all roses along the way) for 40 minutes every day (or more!)
- Drink enough good water to keep your urine clear (not yellow); but don’t drink a lot of fluid with meals because it dilutes the digestive forces. This can be uncomfortable at first as you will initially feel bloated, but if you persevere, the bloating passes and you begin to feel…. thirsty for the first time in your life! (Note: this prescription for water does NOT include coffee, tea and pop which, though liquid, are in fact dehydrating fluids; Warning: soda pop and seltzer with its carbonation and phosphate levels is an important risk factor for developing osteoporosis!) Drink water in this manner: Gulp down (no sipping!) four 16 ounce wide mouthed bottles of water (which you have placed in four strategic places) like your life depended upon it (it does!) each day. Place them as follows: 1st bottle at your bedside; your feet don’t touch the floor until it is consumed. 2nd bottle is at the bathroom sink wher! e you brush your teeth in the AM before breakfast. Again – no leaving the bathroom until you finish this second bottle! The 3rd bottle is wherever you are at 10 AM. 4th bottle is wherever you are at 4 PM. Only sip fluids after 4 PM to avoid being up needing to urinate at night. Only sip fluids with meals to avoid diluting digestive juices. Prescription for Vitality: The goal is to drink ½ your weight in ounces a day AWAY from food.
- Stop the Dehydrating Fluids like coffee, pop and (some) teas. Try Honegar or Lemhoney which are two versions of a highly absorbed nutrient drink which gives an energy boost (like caffeine) with no adrenal and pancreatic strain. These great folk remedy recipes involve getting a squeeze bottle and filling it 1/2 with raw honey and 1/2 with whole-apple organic apple cider vinegar for Honegar (or fresh squeezed lemon juice to make Lemhoney). Let sit or shake it to mix both liquids then squeeze an amount “to taste” into hot water for a comfy wake-up drink or into cold water for a refreshing “pep me up” afternoon drink! It is much better tasting and gives more energy than pop or coffee as the vinegar acidifies the stomach and facilitates nutrient absorption including the enzyme-rich and nutrient dense raw honey. Prescription for Vitality: Honegar or Lemhoney to taste instead of pop or coffee.
- Use Digestive Aids appropriately. Most people overeat and digest their food incompletely. This puts a toxic strain on the immune system and can be at the root of many health challenges. If you are overweight, most likely you are overfed and undernourished (because of insulin dysglycemia – more on that later). Therefore, take one tablespoon of organic apple cider vinegar (OACV) 30 minutes before each meal in order to enhance stomach digestion. This cheap but effective “aperitif” will trigger brain and gut hormones and enhance digestion. This in turn reduces the burden on your intestinal tract. Also, caloric restriction is the ONLY strategy proven to enhance longevity. This truth is valid today as it was 200 years ago when Ben Franklin wrote: “If Americans ate half as much, they would live twice as long”. Prescription for Vitality: Eat less but digest and absorb what you do eat using 1 tablespoon of organic app! le cider vinegar (OACV) in an 8 ounce glass of room-temperature water 15 minutes before each meal. That should be the first thing you do to prepare the meal. (Also, eat slowly, chew your food thoroughly and get in the habit of leaving each meal a bit hungry).
- Take a top quality vitamin, mineral and herbal supplement. See “Not all Chelates are Created Equal” for reasons why I advise the use of chelated products which are more bioavailable and therefore beneficial. Most over-the-counter products are poorly formulated with poor quality substances like: cellulose, calcium carbonate, magnesium oxide, dl-alpha tocopherol etc. Prescription for Vitality: Take a top qulity multi-vitamin multi-mineral (MVMM) twice a day with meals.
- Take a top quality essential fatty acid supplement such as like organic non-GMO seed oils. Avoid krill or fish oil because relative to unadulterated seed oils, the omega 3 fatty acids suffocate cell membranes and compromise oxygen transport. In contrast, unadulterated omega 6 seed oils “actively transport” oxygen from the blood to target tissues. Avoid toxic commercial rancid GMO vegetable oils – these are the unhealthy omega 6 oils. Avoid trans-fatty acids such as what comes with fried foods but enjoy certain saturated fats like organic coconut oil. Prescription for Vitality: Change your oil using organic top-quality essential fatty acid from unadulterated seed oils.
- Detoxify the colon. Most old time doctors acknowledge that chronic illnesses begin with a dis-ease of the gastro-intestinal tract. This is often the result of too much of the bad bacteria and fungal / yeast organism (overgrowth) which overwhelms the “good” bacteria like acidophilus and bifidobacteria. The gastro-intestinal tract is not just a tube going through your body but rather is full of folds and wrinkles designed to enhance absorption. Therefore, prepare for the shocking truth that if the average adult were able to flatten out all these wrinkles the size of the gastro-intestinal tract it would be the size of a tennis court! Add to that shocker, the fact that there are 10 times more of these organisms than there are of YOU. Remember that only 1/4 of what is contained within your skin has YOUR genetic material in it. The rest is NOT you. Hmmm. That means that you are a minority within our own skin! The vast majority of the stuff! within you in is NOT you but rather it is either critters like bacteria (both good and bad types) or fluids or minerals, etc. Therefore, in order to re-establish a healthy balance in this vast territory, everyone needs to take a top quality pro-biotic (acidophilus and bifidobacteria). Prescription for Vitality: Give your 33 foot long gastro-intestinal tract a break!
- Fiber – you KNOW you need it but do you know why? Certainly it helps keep you regular (which is VERY important for you health). However, fiber also can absorb toxins which your body, in its wisdom, is trying to excrete. For this reason we recommend ground up organic (of course!) flax seeds as a daily supplement. This doesn’t supply the oil, just the cleansing fiber. Prescription for Vitality: use that old coffee grinder you have now retired from coffee and use it to grind up frozen (less sticky) flax seeds and put a tablespoon/day on cereal, salad or whatever!
- Remember: there is no such thing as “junk food” – there is food and there is junk. Now, while junk can be made to look like food, it is NOT food! Therefore, eat only unrefined foods that look like you could find them in nature. For example, carrots and seeds and nuts are fine but who has ever seen a peanut butter tree or a pasta tree? You can buy the peanuts and make your fresh peanut butter but most commercial peanut butter has SUGAR added. Equally you can buy the real grain and make real food from it. Therefore, shop the periphery of the supermarket where the live foods are sold. No food additives, coloring and no extra salt or sugar should pass your lips! Prescription for Vitality: Only eat things that look as if they were once alive. The ancient doctors taught that “Life comes from Life” so eat life if you want to live with vitality.
- Stop all dairy products (milk, yogurt, cheese, ice cream) Why? See www.notmilk.com or call 1-888-not-milk for details. Essentially, modern pasteurized and homogenized milk is very different from what your grandparents drank on the farm: raw organic milk. The milk moustache ads promote a beverage that is toxic with anti-biotics, pesticides, hormones, pus and other chemicals including bovine growth hormones. Many people are dairy intolerant and most ear infections, ADD/ADHD and weight problems are directly related to dairy consumption. I recommend that you get off it completely for 10 days then enjoy a big milkshake and feel the phlegm start to drown you. Then you will know from your own experience how toxic these products have become for everyone except baby cows. By the way, the milk referred to in the Bible – “the land of milk and honey” – was goat and sheep milk. It was not cow’s milk. Organic butter is beneficial being rich in butyrate but this is the only dairy which is beneficial. Prescription for Vitality: No more dairy. Don’t take my word for it. Understand why!
- White sugar is the single most toxic food we eat. Avoid it! Excess sugar is at the root of cardio-vascular and heart disease, vision loss, obesity, diabetes and cancer. If you don’t believe me, search the web for Amadori products (the biological consequences of excess sugar). Prescription for Vitality: moderate raw honey is fine but no more white sugar! (Hint: the more you chew your food and mix it with saliva, the sweeter it tastes!)
- Turn off your cell phone – You can still use it but treat yourself like the CEO you are: only return calls you want to return when you want to return them. With you phone off most of the day, you can turn it on every 15 minutes and check messages, like a CEO receiving messages from an assistant periodically. The radiation from cell phone usage is at best destructive to your immune system and at worst, fatal. Many physicists and public health officials consider cells phone to be the most dangerous device we have in our society today. Prescription for Vitality: free yourself from your cell phone: remember Thoreau “our possessions have possessed us”.
- Develop healthy sleep habits in order to receive deep stage 3 restorative sleep each night. Protect your soul as the evening advances so that you are preparing for sleep by avoiding watching TV or the news or any adrenalin producing activities. Make your peace with the world and relax into sleep. Good sleep hygiene is critically important. In Chinese medicine the liver (or organ of regeneration) is featured between 10 PM and 1 AM so let’s not get to bed after 10PM! Remember, “The Rest of your Days depend upon the Rest of your Nights ©.” Prescription for Vitality: be deeply asleep between 10 PM and 6 AM.
- Create meaningful relationships with people in order to serve in ways which you feel are important. Prescription for Vitality: take the time to reflect and assess and evaluate how you are spending your precious time. Guard against victim mentality in all areas of your life!
- Read and understand the health principles in recommended literature/web sites and do not be afraid to ask your doctors questions. Ask your doctors for clarifications. It will help us help you to help yourself! Prescription for Vitality: be informed so that you know that you are going through this effort for YOUR sake and not because a doctor told you to do it!
- Enjoy your life and its blessings. Cultivate a sense of meaning to your life. Read between the lines by pausing to consider deeper truths and subtle beauty. Seek the gift hidden within every challenge. Seek it especially in every health challenge. Remember symptoms are messengers that warn us when we are out of balance from a health perspective. They should be welcomed and not feared or hated. They are also healing gestures. A fever, for example, can be therapeutic if managed within the appropriate ranges. Prescription for Vitality: Slow down, smile, breathe deeply and appreciate the beauty around and within you! You are playing with the House’s money. Have been all your life.
If you read this far, I am grateful for your attention and I welcome your comments and questions! Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
And…Welcome to The Weeks Center for Corrective Health and to the Best of the Rest of your Life ©